Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Long Live la Larga Vida

I have found the miracle cure for EVERYTHING.

The jungle beholds many secrets, and one of them is the much talked about and praised Sangre de Drago (Dragon's blood). It comes from the "Sangre de Drago" tree and, if you cut the tree, it actually "bleeds" a thick, deep red substance that cures anything from stomach problems to cuts and scars to splinters. Yes... splinters.

I had contracted a splinter in my foot that wouldn't come out for over a week. It got to the point that I had to do something. My options were few, but Megan had brought a bottle of Sangre de Drago that she had bought at the market. I figured it couldn't hurt since it's an anti-septic. Even if it wouldn't take the pain away or make the splinter come out, at least it might prevent against infection. So I put a few drops of the "blood" in the palm of my hand and swirled it around like one of the high schoolers had taught me, until it turned into a foamy white cream. I put it on my foot and forgot about it. That night before I went to bed I gave the splinter another attempt. I gave it a couple of pokes and, I kid you not, the splinter literally popped out. Have you ever seen a splinter "pop" out? I hadn't.

Sangre de Drago is filled with antioxidants good for boosting immunity and quickly healing wounds. It helps to diminish the appearance of scars and clear up acne. It can be mixed with water or juice to help with stomach ailments including ulcers, gastritis and diarrhea. And the list of its beneficial qualities doesn't stop there. Does this not sound like the God sent answer to complete and assured physical health?? I'm convinced, and I would like to find a way to secure a constant supply of it directly to my front door once I leave the jungle.

Since I have been living in the Amazon I have frequently been told stories of individuals who have lived well into their hundreds. One of our student's grandparents lived to be 115 years old. I think that proves that there is something to be said for the benefits of living a life based on natural cycles. For the most part, the food we eat comes from the ground. The little meat we eat is not mass produced but comes from small farmers who raise their cattle, chickens and pigs right at home. Many people who have grown up here have never seen or heard of over the counter drugs like ibuprofen or neosporin. There is a natural cure for any physical ailment and they don't have to pay for them or worry about the unrecognizable ingredients and chemicals that come along with the pharmaceuticals that we mindlessly pop into our mouths like candy.

I'm not saying that I will stop taking ibuprofen when I come home; I don't have a Sangre de Drago tree in my back yard, and I haven't been raised with the knowledge of natural plant medicine. But the people here do seem to have a certain intuition as to what will make a person feel better, no matter what their complaint.

Beyond the food and drugs we put into our mouths, a day's activities take place within the natural cycle of light and dark hours. Here in MondaƱa we do have electricity for a few hours at night, which allows us to extend our day beyond sunset. But there are still those who go to bed at 6:30 or 7:00 at night when the sun has gone down and there is no reason to stay awake. Their days begin as early as 3:00 in the morning, with a cup of Guayusa tea for an energy boost (Guayusa contains more caffeine than black tea and almost as much as coffee) and then as soon as the dawn breaks it is out to the fields to work. In fact, it makes most sense to do the hardest work early in the morning when the air is fresh and cool. By 10:00 a.m., the sun is intense and the body exhausted.

That said, there is certainly no need to head to the gym, or go for a morning run. Cultivating the food to feed a family is hard work! There is no lack of physical activity for those who lead a traditional jungle life. Carrying bundles of plantains, pulling yuca roots from the ground, climbing trees to knock down fruit that grows on high branches. This is the work of children and elders alike. Not to mention the long journeys to the weekly open air markets where many farmers buy and sell their produce. These trips might include a 2 hour walk with a bag of heavy papayas sitting on your shoulders.

It's no wonder some of the world's oldest people can be found in the Amazon. The lifestyle is in harmony with the cycles of the universe and with one's neighbor. It is natural and intuitive. Quite a difference from the adaptations we've made in our Western lifestyle in which we now have to complicate our lives due to the creation of what we think of as "innovation" and "higher quality of life." Is it really higher quality? It's certainly a lot shorter. Why work against an already perfect system? Or in other words, why fix it if it's not broken?

2 comments:

  1. Wow Amanda! You write so beautifully! And for the "blood" from the tree....I so believe in that and would love to have some myself.
    You are so correct with everything you said. We would all live healthier lives if we didn't have to add all the chemicals & crap in everything we eat & breath.
    Sending love,
    Cousin Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Heidi!! Thanks for reading! I hope you are well and I'm sure I will run into you when I'm back home in the States this summer!

    ReplyDelete